Top Ten Books that Have Shaped My Faith and Leadership
Leaders are readers. Pure and simple.
I’ve read hundreds and hundreds of books over the years, and each of them continues to add to the fabric of who I am and how I lead.
I believe that’s true for all of us. Whether you’ve read one book or a thousand, what we take in and ingest as leaders always contributes to our who we are what we do, and how we ultimately lead.
As a starting point, let’s begin with the Bible. The Holy Scriptures are by far the most important and most integral resource to my journey of faith and walk with Jesus. All of us should have the Word of God at #1 on our list of most impactful books we’ve read, and continue to read.
So with that said, here are 10 books that have most shaped my life and leadership.
1. Spiritual Leadership – Oswald Sanders. This is an instant classic. Combining faith and leadership in a powerful way.
2. The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership- John Maxwell. One of the legendary leadership books. So much of my own leadership journey has been shaped by John Maxwell and his writing.
3. What’s So Amazing about Grace- Philip Yancey. I read this book in my early 20’s and it truly opened up my mind and heart to God’s grace in a powerful way.
4. Next Generation Leader- Andy Stanley. A tone setter in leading and equipping the next generation.
5. Axiom- Bill Hybels. The primer on getting the best of Hybels in bite size chunks.
6. Roaring Lambs- Bob Briner. A defining book on following Jesus in the middle of mainstream culture.
7. Good to Great- Jim Collins. Arguably one of the greatest business books ever written.
8. Purpose Driven Life- Rick Warren. We all know this one!
9. Mere Christianity- CS Lewis. This classic should be on every believer’s nightstand.
10. The Ragamuffin Gospel- Brennan Manning. Man, I love Brennan Manning’s writing. This one is perhaps his best known and best written.
*** bonus: In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership- Henri Nouwen.
Let’s all commit to continuing to live out the “leaders are readers” code and commission. Hungry leaders continue to get better, and never before have as many books and resources been available to us, in every format and delivery system, to help us navigate the tricky road of influence.
Read well, my friends!