This is the weekend every year when we turn back the clock. Daylight savings is over, and it is officially fall/winter. Thought I would turn back the clock to a post from several months ago.
A few Random thoughts on What's In and What's Out in Leadership:
- Command and Control is out.
- Management by position is out.
- Wait until you're "old enough" to really lead is out.
- Top Down Hierarchy structure is out.
- Power as the ultimate expression of leadership is out.
- One career in one industry with one employer in one location is out.
- Working your way up the "corporate ladder" is out.
- "My way or the highway" is out
- "you're in charge because you are older" is out
- Authenticity is in.
- Humility is in.
- Flat organizational structure and systems are in.
- Management by skill and know how vs. position is in.
- Lead as soon as you are ready is in.
- Relational equity as a major asset is in.
- Entrepreneurial spirit, boot-strap mentality, and do it yourself attitude is in.
- Generosity, sharing, serving, and "giving it away" is in.
- Free Agency and "project" based careers are in.
- Collaboration and the ability to partner well is in.
Are you in or out?