We're not necessarily talking know-how, or values, or character traits on this post. This is more about things that are tangible, and help you make ideas happen, and get things done, and manage the chaos and tension of being a leader. - a moleskine notebook to write down your thoughts
- a Google Reader account that lets you track/read tons of blogs and content feeds
- Subscriptions to magazines, industry newsletters, newspapers, etc. Fast Company, Neue, Relevant, Leadership, GOOD and Fortune are a few of my favorites.
- Evernote for capturing ideas either on your phone or on your computer. Any time an idea comes up, wherever I am I can capture it on Evernote.
- A Flip cam for capturing great moments on video, or a Smart Phone that has video capability.
- Consistent exercise regiment. Work out, run, lift, hike, etc on a regular basis. You have to have energy to lead.
- A place to think, dream, get away, and refresh. This might be a condo on the beach, or a cabin in the mountains, or a duck blind in the marsh of Arkansas (that's me!). But have somewhere that you can intentionally get away and think/dream without distractions. You don't need to own these places.... Leaders always have friends and connections with folks who are more than willing to let you use them.