Here are some key trends happening in Leadership today.
1. Authenticity rules- Transparency, vulnerability, honesty and full disclosure are in.
2. The rise of the Free Agent and the "Gig" economy- it's now a "free agent" nation. Around 35% of the current workforce is self employed or project based, and that is only going to grow.
3. Connection of identity, calling, vocation and assignment- Leaders want to connect purpose with passion, and are not willing to stay in a role or organization just "because" anymore.
4. Digital and Social Media Power and domination- Social media is now one of the most important parts of a leaders influence.
5. The rise of the tribe and network- Community is crucial, and relationships win. There is tremendous power in the people you're on the journey with. The tribe rules and leads.
6. Reverse mentoring- younger is now mentoring the older as it relates to technology, open source, social media and digital engagement.
7. Content is a commodity- Move towards free in all areas. Which puts a premium on the experience.
8. Decline of hierarchy- organizations are becoming flatter, which puts more accountability in the hands of each employee.
9. Succession happening at every level- Transitions are crucial, and as the boomers continue to hand off the reigns to Gen X and Y, healthy succession is crucial.
10. Mobile team- people want to, and are, working from anywhere and everywhere. Which again puts more accountability on the results, and less on "office hours."
11. Influence is everywhere- everyone has influence, because creating influence has never been so readily available to anyone at anytime.
12. Collaboration is in- Open source and generosity are key currencies in making things happen and getting things done.