We had David Salyers at our office last week from Chick-fil-A. David is the VP of Marketing for the chicken sandwich giant, and a frequent speaker and consultant on leadership. He had some great points during his talk to our staff, specifically as it relates to the idea of Recalculating our leadership GPS. - We tend to think that Leadership is mainly about leading those who are subordinates or work FOR us.
- However, 360 degree leadership is first and foremost about leading ourselves.
- 50% of our energy should go towards leading ourselves. 20% should go towards leading across (peers), 20% towards leading up, and only 10% towards leading down (those who work for us directly).
- With this scenario, 90% of leadership is for everybody, regardless of whether you have a team you manage or not. We tend to think that the only kind of leadership is when we have a team we are managing, but that is not accurate.
- Most of us view leading up as "brown nosing." Instead we need to recalibrate- leading up is not "sucking up." Sucking up is selfish, but truly leading up is serving.
- A self serving leader is one who is usually money motivated, while a servant leader is one who is mission motivated.
- Significance is about impact we have ON others. Success is about comparing ourselves TO others. And comparison is the thief of joy.
- We cross the line of selfless to selfish as leaders when what we receive goes from appreciation to expectation.
You can watch the video of David speaking to our staff here.