Joseph is one of my favorite personalities in the Old Testament. The story of Joseph in Genesis is one worth reading again and again.
In regards to Joseph, here are some leadership qualities I admire in him:
1. Principled- he had character and integrity. He was honest. He was tempted at multiple times, and he resisted.
2. Humble- the power and prestige of his position working for Pharaoh never changed him.
3. Disciplined- Joseph had the proper long term perspective, even while in jail for a crime he didn’t commit.
4. Faithfulness- while in jail and throughout all of the turmoil, Joseph remained faithful to God and never wavered from his commitment to follow Him.
5. Grace- Joseph showed grace and mercy to his brothers, even though they had sold him into slavery.
6. Competence- he did his job with excellence. Whether as a servant, or the interpreter of Pharaoh’s dream, or as the manager of the family sheep flock.
7. Wise- Joseph was wise beyond his years. He was 30 when he stepped in to help set up Egypt for the famine, and demonstrated a seasoned perspective with decision after decision.
8. Strategic- Joseph was a planner. He instructed the officials to prepare for a famine, even though it was years away, gathering up food to store up, even during the seven years of “plenty.”